The citrus-scented sugar on top of these muffins melts just enough while baking to add a sweet finishing crunch.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup whole buttermilk
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest, divided
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 2 (6-cup) cast-iron muffin pans with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, egg, vanilla, and 3 teaspoons lemon zest. Whisk buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until combined. Divide batter among prepared muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, whisk together granulated sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon lemon zest; sprinkle mixture onto batter.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Serve warm, or remove from pans, and let cool completely on a wire rack.