Meaty, cheesy, creamy, and richly indulgent, this casserole is just the kind of dish you want to cozy up to.
Loaded Hash Browns Casserole
Makes 8 Servings
- 1 pound ground mild pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese with peppers
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce
- 1½ teaspoons seasoned salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (26-ounce) package frozen shredded hash brown potatoes, thawed
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until browned and crumbly. Remove sausage with a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet. Add bell pepper and onion to skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet using a slotted spoon.
- In same skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and broth until smooth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, whisking frequently, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Whisk in Jack cheese and 1 cup Cheddar until melted. Whisk in sour cream, hot sauce, salt, and black pepper. Remove from heat.
- Stir hash browns, sausage, and vegetables into cheese sauce until well combined. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup Cheddar.
- Bake until browned and bubbly, 45 to50 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with chives, if desired.