All the nostalgic flavor of a classic loaded baked potato is packed into every bowl.
Loaded Potato Soup
Serves: 2 quarts
- 4 slices center-cut bacon, halved crosswise
- 1½ cups chopped red onion
- 1½ cups chopped celery
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2½ pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup minced fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1½ teaspoons ground black pepper
- Garnish: minced fresh chives, sour cream, shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- In a large cast-iron Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove bacon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in pot. Let bacon cool; chop.
- Add onion, celery, and garlic to pot; cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until vegetables are softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add potatoes and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are very tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Transfer 3 cups soup into a blender; purée until smooth. Return puréed soup to pot; add cream, chives, salt, and pepper. Garnish with chives, sour cream, and Cheddar, if desired. Top servings with bacon. Serve immediately.