This crunchy and tangy vinegar-based slaw is a colorful and fresh accompaniment to any saucy or spicy grilled meat.
Marinated Pepper Slaw
Makes about 2½ quarts
- ⅓ cup rice wine vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 8 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 (16-ounce) package tricolor mini sweet peppers, thinly sliced into rings
- ½ cup thinly sliced celery
- ½ cup thinly sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 1½ cups shredded carrots
- 1½ cups shredded red cabbage
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard seeds, black pepper, and red pepper until sugar is dissolved; gradually whisk in oil until well combined.
- Stir green cabbage, sweet peppers, celery, and onion into vinegar mixture until well combined. Cover and refrigerate, stirring occasionally, for 12 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in carrot and red cabbage.
The carrot and red cabbage are added just before serving to preserve their crunchy texture and to keep their color from bleeding into the rest of the slaw.