We brushed a thin coating of seasoned mayonnaise onto the turkey, infusing the meat with flavor and keeping it juicy. The finished turkey doesn’t carry the spread’s taste—it’s just herby and delicious.
Mayo-Herb Turkey Breast and Legs
Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1½ tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1½ teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 (4-pound) bone-in split turkey breast
- 2 (1½-pound) turkey legs
- 4 large shallots, quartered
- 1 large white onion, cut into eighths
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- Garnish: fresh rosemary, fresh thyme
- In a small bowl, stir together brown sugar, salt, pepper, and paprika. Rub mixture all over turkey breast and legs. Place turkey pieces in a large baking dish; cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place shallots, onion, and garlic in a single layer in a 15-inch cast-iron skillet. In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, rosemary, and thyme; spread mixture all over turkey pieces. Place pieces, skin side up, on vegetables in pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°. Baste turkey pieces with pan drippings.
- Bake until turkey pieces are golden brown and a meat thermometer inserted in thickest portion of breast and legs registers 165°, about 20 minutes more.
- Transfer turkey pieces to a serving platter, and loosely cover with foil. Let stand for 20 minutes. Serve turkey with roasted vegetables. Garnish with rosemary and thyme, if desired.