Toasted coconut gives these individual cakes a sweet tropical crunch.
Mini Strawberry Upside Down Cakes
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrates 0g
Dietary Fiber 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 11 ⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup whole buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened flaked coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray the wells of a cast-iron biscuit pan with cooking spray.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave 4 tablespoons butter until melted, about 20 seconds. Add 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar, stirring to combine. Stir in lemon juice. Spoon mixture into prepared wells in pan. Arrange strawberries on top of butter mixture.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat brown sugar, remaining 6 tablespoons butter, and remaining 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla, beating just until combined. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Spoon batter over strawberries (about 1⁄4 cup per well). Place pan on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes before turning cakes out.
- Top with toasted coconut.
Southern Cast Iron https://www.southerncastiron.com/