Gather up your favorite summer berries and bring them to life with notes of orange and ginger in this foolproof pie that’s sure to please everyone.
Mixed Berry Crumb Pie
Makes 1 (10-inch) pie
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 2 cups quartered fresh strawberries
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup tapioca flour
- 2½ teaspoons ground ginger, divided
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Lightly spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll piecrusts. Lightly brush water onto 1 crust. Top with remaining piecrust. Roll out crusts to a 14-inch circle. Transfer crust to prepared skillet, pressing into bottom and up sides. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired. Freeze until crust is firm, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, gently stir together all berries, granulated sugar, tapioca flour, 2 teaspoons ginger, and orange zest and juice. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, brown sugar, salt, and remaining ½ teaspoon ginger. Using your fingers, work butter into flour mixture until large crumbs are formed; stir in pecans. Refrigerate mixture for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Stir fruit mixture; pour into prepared cold crust. Sprinkle pecan mixture all over fruit.
- Bake until crust and topping are golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 1 hour, covering with foil to prevent excess browning if needed. Let cool completely on a wire rack before serving.