The only way we could up the ante on the delicious well-known New Orleans sandwich is to turn it into an indulgent grilled cheese.
Muffuletta Grilled Cheese
- 1 (15.5-ounce) jar olive salad, drained well and patted dry
- ½ cup pepperoncini rings, drained well and chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 8 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 8 slices sesame seed sandwich bread
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1 pound thinly sliced black forest ham
- 8 ounces thinly sliced Genoa salami
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese
- In a medium bowl, stir together olive salad, pepperoncini, and oregano.
- Spread 1 teaspoon mayonnaise on one side of all bread slices. Top half of bread slices, plain side up, with 2 slices provolone, one-fourth of ham, one-fourth of salami, one-fourth of olive salad mixture, 2 slices mozzarella, and remaining bread slices, plain side down.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Cook sandwiches until bread is golden brown and cheese is melted, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve immediately.