This flavor-packed tart comes together with ease. Pair it with a winter greens salad, and brunch, lunch, or a light dinner is served.
Mushroom and Bacon Tart
Makes 1 (12-inch) tart
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 12 ounces assorted fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 (5.2-ounce) package spreadable garlic and herb cheese*
- 1 egg Garnish: sliced green onion
- In a large cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet.
- Add mushrooms, green onion, garlic, salt, and pepper to drippings in skillet; cook, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- On a lightly floured large piece of parchment paper, unroll piecrusts, and stack together; roll crusts to a 14-inch circle. Spread cheese onto crust, leaving a 2-inch border on all sides. Spread mushroom mixture and three-fourths of bacon onto cheese.
- Fold excess dough over mushroom mixture (dough will not fully cover mushrooms). In a small bowl, beat egg; brush onto edges of crust. Transfer tart on parchment to a 14-inch round cast-iron baking sheet.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Top with remaining bacon; let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with green onion, if desired.
*We used Boursin Garlic & Fine Herbs Cheese.