This classic pairing gets a spicy upgrade with a homemade hot sauce. Find our best Cornmeal Dredge recipe here.
Nashville Hot Catfish and Okra
Serves: Makes 6 servings
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 cups whole buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Cornmeal Dredge
- 1 to 3 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 6 (6- to 8-ounce) skinless catfish fillets
- 1½ pounds fresh okra pods, sliced
- Red Pepper Sauce (recipe follows)
Red Pepper Sauce
- Reserved 1 cup hot cooking oil from Nashville Hot Catfish and Okra (recipe precedes)
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 2 teaspoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Fill a large deep cast-iron Dutch oven or fish fry pan halfway with oil, and heat over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°. Spray a large wire rack with cooking spray.
- In a shallow baking dish, whisk together buttermilk and egg. In another shallow baking dish, whisk together Cornmeal Dredge and red pepper. Place half of buttermilk mixture and half of cornmeal mixture in separate shallow dishes. Dip fish in buttermilk mixture, letting excess drip off. Place in cornmeal mixture, turning to coat, pressing gently to adhere. Shake off excess coating. Place on prepared rack.
- Working in batches, fry fish, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels. Repeat procedure with okra, remaining buttermilk mixture, and remaining cornmeal mixture.
- Fry, turning occasionally, until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Let drain on paper towels. Reserve 1 cup hot cooking oil for Red Pepper Sauce. Serve with Red Pepper Sauce.
Red Pepper Sauce
- In a medium bowl, carefully whisk together all ingredients. Serve immediately.