Don’t let the idea of making homemade nut brittle scare you! With your cast-iron Dutch oven and a trusty thermometer, there’s nothing to fear.
Serves: 36 to 48 pieces
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups salted mixed nuts
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; generously spray with cooking spray.
- In a 3½-quart enamel-coated cast-iron Dutch oven, bring sugar, corn syrup, ⅓ cup water, and salt to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring just until sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat to medium; cook, without stirring, until mixture registers 250° on a candy thermometer. Stir in nuts; cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture registers 300° on candy thermometer. Immediately remove from heat; stir in butter, baking soda, and vanilla.
- Pour onto prepared pan, and spread to an even thickness. Let cool completely before breaking into pieces. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.