These creamy, dreamy custards require only a few basic ingredients and make the most delightful individual desserts.
Orange Blossom Honey Custards
- 5 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup orange blossom honey
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Garnish: orange blossom honey, toasted slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 275°. Place 6 (3½-inch) cast-iron skillets on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, honey, and vanilla.
- In a small Dutch oven, heat cream, milk, and salt over medium heat just until bubbles form around sides of pot. Gradually whisk hot cream mixture into egg yolk mixture until combined.
- Pour egg yolk mixture into Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, 5 to 8 minutes. Divide egg mixture among skillets.
- Bake until custards jiggle slightly in the center when baking sheet is gently shaken, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Loosely cover skillets, and refrigerate until cold before serving, at least 3 hours or overnight. Garnish with honey and almonds, if desired.