Scented with cardamom, this rich fall bread is perfect for breakfast or dessert!
Orange-Cardamom Breakfast Bread Twist
Makes about 10 servings
- 1 (1-pound) package hot roll mix*
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons orange zest
- ¾ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- For dough: Prepare mix according to package directions for hot rolls; knead as directed. Cover dough with a large bowl; let stand for 5 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 16x10-inch rectangle.
- For filling: Spread butter over dough. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, zest, cardamom, and salt. Sprinkle sugar mixture over butter; gently press mixture into dough. Starting with one long side, roll dough into a log; pinch seam to seal. Place log seam side down. Using a sharp knife, cut in half lengthwise, stopping 1 inch from one end. Twist halves together 3 or 4 times.
- Gently place dough in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, forming a ring. Pinch long ends together to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm draft-free place (75°) until doubled in size, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Uncover and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pan for 30 minutes.
- For glaze: In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and orange juice; spoon over bread. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving.
*We used Pillsbury.
You can find more cast-iron bread recipes in our newest issue of Southern Cast Iron.