This recipe makes perfect use of out-of-season greenhouse tomatoes, packing them with lots of flavor from brown sugar, herbs, and a bit of salty Parmesan.
Oregano-Parmesan Broiled Tomatoes
Serves: 6 servings
- 3 ripe beefsteak tomatoes, halved crosswise
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1½ teaspoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Garnish: fresh oregano
- Preheat oven to broil.
- In a large enamel-coated cast-iron skillet, place tomato halves, cut side up, in an even layer; brush with melted butter.
- In a small bowl, stir together oregano, brown sugar, salt, and pepper; sprinkle onto tomatoes. Top with bread crumbs and cheese.
- Broil until bread crumbs are golden brown and cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Garnish with oregano, if desired.