Oyster Po’Boys with Carrot and Red Onion Slaw
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 11⁄4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 (8-ounce) containers shucked oysters
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 4 hoagie rolls, split lengthwise
- 1 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro sprigs
- In a medium bowl, toss together carrot, red onion, vinegar, oil, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and red pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
- In a shallow dish, stir together cornmeal, flour, onion powder, black pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. In a large deep cast-iron skillet, pour oil to a depth of 2 inches, and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 350°. Working in batches, dredge oysters in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess. Fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels.
- Spread mayonnaise onto cut sides of bread. Top with oysters, carrot mixture, and cilantro.