A quick tomato gravy is the cherry (tomato) on top of cheesy pan-fried grits cakes.
Parmesan Grits Cakes with Tomato Gravy
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 2½ cups chicken stock, divided
- 2 cups whole milk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow grits
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil, for cooking
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for dredging
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Line a 13×9-inch baking pan with parchment paper, allowing excess to extend over sides of pan.
- In an enamel-coated cast-iron Dutch oven, bring 2 cups stock, milk, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and pepper to a boil over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in grits until smooth. Reduce heat, and simmer, stirring frequently, until grits are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in cheese.
- Spread grits into prepared pan. Let cool to room temperature; cover and refrigerate until cold and firm, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 200°. Place a wire rack on a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Using excess parchment as handles, remove grits from pan. Cut grits into about 12 (3-inch) squares. Halve each square diagonally to make 2 triangles.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, dredge grits cakes in flour to coat. Cook grits cakes in batches until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side, adding additional olive oil as needed. Keep cooked grits cakes warm in oven on prepared rack.
- In same skillet, melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Whisk in 3 tablespoons flour until smooth; cook, whisking constantly, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Whisk in remaining ½ cup stock until smooth; whisk in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, cherry tomatoes, rosemary, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 5 to 8 minutes. Serve with grits cakes.