Sweet peaches and tart cherries work in harmony in a bubbly baked treat complete with a crispy-crumbly oat streusel topping.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- ⅓ cup plus ¼ cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking oats (not instant)
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon divided
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter cubed
- ⅓ cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 cups sliced peeled fresh peaches (6 to 7 large peaches)
- 6 cups pitted fresh cherries
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cherry ice cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, stir together ¼ cup flour, oats, brown sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, and salt. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly; stir in almonds. Refrigerate.
- In a large bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, nutmeg, remaining ⅓ cup flour, and remaining ¾ teaspoon cinnamon; stir in peaches, cherries, and vanilla until well combined. Pour fruit mixture into prepared skillet. Sprinkle oat mixture in large clumps all over fruit.
- Bake until topping is golden brown and filling is hot and bubbly, about 40 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Serve with ice cream.
If you can’t find fresh cherries in your area, you can use 2 (16-ounce) bags of frozen cherries that have been thawed and drained.