Adding the sliced peaches to the top halfway through baking keeps them from sinking into the batter.
Peach-Pecan Quick Bread
Makes 2 (9x5-inch) loaves
- 3 large eggs
- 2½ cups sugar
- 1 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ cups peeled, pitted, and mashed fresh peaches
- 1 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1 fresh peach, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray 2 (9x5-inch) cast-iron loaf pans with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Add sugar, buttermilk, oil, milk, and vanilla, whisking to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Fold flour mixture into egg mixture. Fold in mashed peaches and pecans. Divide batter between prepared pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Carefully remove from oven, and gently place peach slices on top. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs, 45 minutes to 1 hour more, loosely covering with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes. Remove from pans, and let cool completely on wire racks.