This sweet and creamy sandwich makes for an indulgent breakfast or dessert.
Peanut Butter and Banana Grilled Cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 slices brioche sandwich bread
- 2 large bananas, halved crosswise and sliced
- ½ inch thick lengthwise
- ⅓ cup crunchy peanut butter
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- Garnish: confectioners’ sugar, banana slices
- In a small bowl, stir together cream cheese, mascarpone, honey, vanilla, and cinnamon until well combined. Spread cream cheese mixture onto half of bread slices; top cream cheese mixture with banana pieces. Spread peanut butter onto remaining bread slices; place on banana pieces, spread side down.
- Refrigerate sandwiches for 10 minutes.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. Add 2 sandwiches; cook until bread is golden brown and cream cheese mixture is softened, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and remaining sandwiches. Garnish with confectioners’ sugar and banana, if desired. Serve immediately.
KITCHEN TIP- Refrigerating the sandwiches before cooking helps keep the cream cheese mixture from totally melting and running out while the bread is toasting.