Breakfast is sure to be the sweetest meal of the day with this decadent dish.
Peanut Butter-Banana Pudding French Toast
Makes 4 servings
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise and divided
- ½ cup sugar, divided
- 2 egg yolks
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup honey-roasted crunchy peanut butter*
- 8 slices thick white sandwich bread*
- 3 medium bananas, peeled and cut into ¼-inch slices
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- Sweetened whipped cream, to serve
- Garnish: banana slices, crushed vanilla wafers
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl. In a small enamel-coated cast-iron Dutch oven, cook 1 cup milk and half of vanilla bean over medium heat until steaming. Remove from heat, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together ¼ cup sugar, egg yolks, and salt. Gradually whisk half of hot milk mixture into egg mixture. Whisk egg mixture into remaining milk mixture in Dutch oven. Cook milk mixture over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, 3 to 4 minutes. Strain mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a medium bowl. Scrape any remaining vanilla bean seeds out of vanilla pod; whisk seeds into custard. Discard vanilla pod. Loosely cover, and refrigerate custard until cold.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cream cheese, peanut butter, and 2 tablespoons sugar until well combined. Spread about 4 teaspoons mixture onto each bread slice. Arrange bananas on 4 slices of bread; top with remaining bread slices, spread side down.
- In a large, shallow dish, whisk together eggs, cinnamon, remaining 1 cup milk, and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Scrape seeds from remaining vanilla bean half; whisk seeds into egg mixture. Discard vanilla bean half.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Dip 2 sandwiches in egg mixture, one at a time, about 10 seconds per side. Cook until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Wipe skillet clean; repeat with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and remaining sandwiches. Serve immediately with custard and whipped cream. Garnish with banana and vanilla wafers, if desired.
*We used Peter Pan Honey Roast Crunchy Peanut Butter and Sara Lee Artesano Bakery Bread.