Southerners love a good praline. Delight your friends and family with these timeless pecan-filled treats.
Serves: About 16
- 2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups pecan halves
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: flaked sea salt
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a 3½-quart enamel-coated cast-iron Dutch oven, bring brown sugar, cream, and baking soda to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture registers 240° on a candy thermometer. Remove from heat; quickly stir in pecans, butter, and vanilla.
- Quickly drop mixture onto prepared pan by spoonfuls. Sprinkle with salt, if desired. (The mixture should be a little easier to work with since the Dutch oven helps retain heat.) Let stand until hardened, about 10 minutes. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.