Who needs to go out to eat when you can create these stunning sandwiches right at home?
Pepper Jelly-Glazed Fried Chicken Sandwiches
- 3 cups whole buttermilk, divided
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2½ tablespoons hot sauce, divided
- 2½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 4 chicken cutlets (about 1 pound), halved crosswise
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning*
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- ¾ cup red pepper jelly
- 4½ tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Hamburger buns, coleslaw, and dill pickle chips, to serve
- In a 13×9-inch baking dish, whisk together 2 cups buttermilk, salt, 1 tablespoon hot sauce, and garlic powder. Add chicken; cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, turning chicken halfway through marinating. Let chicken mixture stand at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and Cajun seasoning; stir 2 to 3 tablespoons buttermilk marinade into flour mixture to form some small clumps. Place remaining 1 cup buttermilk in another medium bowl.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, pour oil to a depth of 1 inch, and heat over medium-high heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 375°.
- Working in batches, remove chicken from marinade, letting excess drip off. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, shaking of excess. Dip chicken in clean buttermilk; dredge in flour mixture again, shaking off excess.
- Working in batches, fry chicken until golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest portion registers 160°, 1 to 2 minutes per side, adjusting heat as needed to maintain temperature. Let chicken drain on a wire rack set over a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet.
- In a small saucepan, bring pepper jelly, vinegar, Worcestershire, and remaining 1½ tablespoons hot sauce to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Working quickly, generously brush pepper jelly glaze all over chicken pieces. Serve chicken immediately on buns with coleslaw, pickles, and remaining pepper jelly glaze.