Melted cheese, spicy-sweet pepper jelly, and a juicy beef patty—this is the sandwich of our dreams. Use any pimiento cheese you like.
Pimiento Cheese and Pepper Jelly Patty Melts
Serves: About 4
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 4 cups (½-inch-thick) sliced Vidalia or other sweet onion (about 1 pound)
- ¼ cup red pepper jelly
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 8 (½-inch-thick) slices sourdough bread
- 1⅓ cups pimiento cheese
- 4 slices Cheddar cheese
- In a large bowl, stir together ground beef, Worcestershire, salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Divide mixture into 4 portions; shape portions into ½-inch-thick oval patties.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, until onion is soft and golden brown, about 30 minutes, watching onion carefully and stirring frequently during the last 10 minutes. Transfer onion to a medium bowl; stir in pepper jelly and thyme. Wipe skillet clean.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add 2 tablespoons butter to skillet. Working in batches, cook patties until browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest portion registers 160°, 2½ to 3 minutes per side. Remove patties from skillet; wipe skillet clean.
- Spread 1 bread slice with ⅓ cup pimiento cheese; top with a patty, 1 cheese slice, ¼ cup onion mixture, and another bread slice. Repeat with remaining bread, pimiento cheese, patties, cheese slices, and onion mixture.
- In same skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Cook 2 sandwiches, turning once, until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 2 minutes per side. Wipe skillet clean. Repeat with remaining 2 tablespoons butter and remaining sandwiches. Serve immediately.