Ritz crackers, crumbled and mixed with Cheddar cheese, make a crunchy topping
for this tasty casserole.
Pimiento Cheese Squash Casserole
Serves: Makes about 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 10 cups sliced yellow squash (about 3 pounds)
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1¾ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 (7-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained
- ⅓ cup crushed buttery round crackers
- Garnish: ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. Brush a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with butter.
- In a large Dutch oven, bring squash, 6 cups water, onion, and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until almost tender, about 7 minutes. Drain.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, pepper, egg, and remaining ¾ teaspoon salt. Add squash mixture and pimientos; stir well. Pour into prepared skillet. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese and crushed crackers.
- Bake until mixture is bubbly and cheese is melted, about 25 minutes. Garnish with pepper, if desired.
Be careful not to boil the squash too long—you want it to hold its shape when you fold in the pimiento cheese.