Featuring jammy fruit sandwiched between a buttery crust and crumb top, these Plum Blackberry Bars are the perfect picnic dessert.
Plum Blackberry Bars
Serves: About 9
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pitted plums
- 2 cups fresh blackberries
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly spray a 10-inch square cast-iron skillet with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, stir together together flour, 1 cup sugar, melted butter, salt, and baking powder. Refrigerate 1 cup mixture; press remaining mixture into prepared skillet. Bake for 5 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, gently stir together plums, blackberries, cornstarch, lemon juice, salt, and remaining ½ cup sugar. Spoon onto crust; crumble reserved 1 cup crust mixture onto fruit.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, about 45 minutes, loosely covering with foil during last 10 minutes of baking to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Run a knife around edges of crust. Cut into bars. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.