With a creamy filling and a crunchy cracker topping, this comforting, from-scratch casserole is right at home in your cast-iron skillet.
Poppy Seed Chicken
Makes 6 servings
- ½ cup unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half, room temperature
- 6 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, divided
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 cups chopped cooked chicken (about 2 pounds boneless skinless breasts)
- 1 sleeve buttery round crackers, crushed (about 1½ cups)
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, melt ¼ cup butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Whisk in flour; cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in broth until smooth. Whisk in half-and-half until smooth; cook, whisking frequently, until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Whisk in cream cheese until melted and smooth. Whisk in 1 tablespoon poppy seeds, salt, and pepper. Stir in chicken until well combined.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt remaining ¼ cup butter. Stir in crackers, almonds, and remaining 1 tablespoon poppy seeds. Sprinkle onto chicken mixture.
- Bake until top is golden brown and bubbly, about 20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.