These large hand pies are perfect for pairing with a side of fresh greens. Pies can be assembled, covered, and refrigerated overnight before baking.
Pulled Pork and Broccoli Rabe Hand Pies
Serves: 5 servings
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- ½ pound broccoli rabe, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ pound smoked pulled pork, chopped
- Sour Cream Pastry Dough (recipe follows)
- ½ cup shredded white Cheddar cheese
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
SOUR CREAM PASTRY DOUGH
- 4½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1½ cups cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons whole milk
- 3 egg yolks
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a small bowl, stir together mustard, honey, sour cream, vinegar, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper until smooth. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion; cook until softened, about 10 minutes. Add broccoli rabe, garlic powder, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in pork; remove from heat.
- Let Sour Cream Pastry Dough stand at room temperature for 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 25×12-inch rectangle. Using a pizza cutter or pastry wheel, cut in half lengthwise. Make 5 (5-inch-wide) crosswise cuts to create 10 (6×5-inch) rectangles.
- Stir cheese into pork mixture. Divide mixture among 5 dough rectangles, leaving a ½-inch border on all sides. Place remaining dough rectangles over filling, lightly stretching to make edges meet. Crimp edges with a fork dipped in flour. Transfer pies to a cast-iron baking sheet or griddle. In a small bowl, whisk together egg white and milk; brush onto pies. Cut 3 slits in top of pies to release steam.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes. Serve with honey mustard sauce.
SOUR CREAM PASTRY DOUGH
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour and salt. Add butter and thyme, pulsing until butter pieces are pea-sized.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, milk, and egg yolks. Add mixture to food processor, and pulse until a dough ball begins to form.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently knead until dough comes together, about 6 times. Shape into a square, and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 days.