Thick ribbons of chocolate-hazelnut spread are swirled throughout this moist cake that comes together in minutes so you can have a sweet treat anytime a craving strikes.
Pumpkin-Chocolate Swirl Cake
Makes 1 (10-inch) cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- 1¾ cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅔ chocolate-hazelnut spread,* warmed until pourable (see Notes)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pie spice, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, brown sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla until smooth. Whisk flour mixture into pumpkin mixture until thick and smooth.
- Spray a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with baking spray with flour. Spread half of batter into prepared skillet.
- Pour half of warmed chocolate-hazelnut spread onto batter in thick, wide ribbons, avoiding sides of skillet. Using a knife or offset spatula, gently swirl together spread and batter, avoiding chocolate spread touching sides of skillet. Repeat layers with remaining batter and chocolate spread.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean (a thin coat of chocolate on pick is OK), 45 to 50 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 1 hour before serving. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Heat chocolate-hazelnut spread in a small microwave-safe bowl on low heat, swirling bowl (not stirring spread) every 20 to 30 seconds, until spread is warm to the touch and still thick but pourable. Spread must be heated gradually and on low heat to prevent it from scorching and seizing. If this happens, discard spread and start again.
*We used Nutella.
*We used Nutella.