This cheesy casserole deliciously captures the essence of late fall, and thanks to its generous layers of filling produce, we promise you won’t want for any meat with this hearty dinner.
Pumpkin and Sweet Potato Lasagna
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium sweet onions, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- 1½ cups cottage cheese
- 1 large egg
- 12 oven-ready lasagna noodles
- 1½ pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced ⅛ inch thick
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 10 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 13×9-inch cast-iron baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until just soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle flour onto onions. Cook, stirring frequently, for 2 minutes. Stir in milk, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened and bubbly, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin, cottage cheese, and egg until well combined. Spread one-third of onion sauce in bottom of prepared pan. Top with 4 noodles. Spread half of pumpkin mixture onto noodles. Top with half of sweet potato slices. Spread half of remaining onion sauce onto sweet potato; top with 3 cups spinach.
- Top spinach with 4 noodles. Spread remaining pumpkin mixture onto noodles; sprinkle with half of cheese. Top with remaining 4 noodles, remaining sweet potatoes, and remaining 1 cup spinach. Spread remaining onion sauce onto spinach. Spray a large piece of foil with cooking spray; cover lasagna, spray side down.
- Bake until sweet potatoes are tender, about 40 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted, about 25 minutes more. Garnish with thyme, if desired. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
Lasagna can also be assembled and baked in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet.