Red, White, and Blue Cobbler
Serves: 15-20 servings
- 2 (14.1-ounce) packages refrigerated piecrusts
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 pounds fresh strawberries, hulled (about 15 cups)
- 6 cups fresh blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- Vanilla ice cream, to serve
- On a lightly floured surface unroll 1 piecrust. Brush lightly with water; place another piecrust on top; roll out to smooth crust. Cut 5 (11⁄2-inch-wide) strips, and place on a baking sheet. Refrigerate until ready to use. Repeat rolling procedure with remaining piecrusts.
- Using a 3-inch star cutter, cut 5 stars. Using a 2 ⁄2-inch star cutter, cut 9 stars. Place stars on a baking sheet, and refrigerate until ready to use. Reserve remaining crust for another use.
- In a large bowl, stir together granulated sugar and berries. Let stand at least 30 minutes.
- Place berry mixture in a 15-inch cast-iron skillet; stir in cornstarch. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until thick and bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°. Remove skillet from heat. Stir in butter and lemon zest.
- Place strips on cobbler, cutting to fit, if necessary. Arrange stars on top. Brush piecrust strips and stars with beaten egg, and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake until crust is golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream.