This is a great recipe you can make all year—substitute seasonal vegetables for the carrots, radishes, and green onions.
Roasted Chicken with Spring Vegetables
Makes about 6 servings
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) whole chicken
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, halved
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed and divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1 cup baby carrots
- 1 cup radishes, halved
- 1 bunch green onions
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Remove and discard giblets from chicken. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Place half of lemon, 6 thyme sprigs, and 2 cloves of garlic inside cavity.
- In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium-high heat. When butter melts, add chicken, breast side down. Cook until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Turn chicken; cook 6 to 8 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
- In a medium bowl, toss carrot, radish, green onion, and remaining 2 garlic cloves with salt and pepper. Add remaining 2 tablespoons butter to skillet; melt over medium-high heat. Add vegetables, tossing to coat. Place chicken, breast side up, on top of vegetables. Add remaining 6 thyme sprigs and half of lemon. Bake until a meat thermometer registers 165°, about 45 minutes. Let chicken stand 10 minutes.