This herbed cornbread is a dressed-up take on the Southern classic. The crispy edges and bright rosemary flavor make this version dangerously delicious.
Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrates 0g
Dietary Fiber 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 2 tablespoons rendered bacon fat
- 1 cup stone-ground plain white or yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1¼ cups whole buttermilk
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, add rendered bacon fat. Place skillet in oven to preheat.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, rosemary, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and pepper.
- In another medium bowl, stir together buttermilk, olive oil, and egg. Gradually add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stirring just until combined. Carefully remove hot skillet from oven. Pour batter into skillet.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 18 minutes.
- Let cool in skillet 3 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool on a wire rack 5 minutes.
Southern Cast Iron https://www.southerncastiron.com/