These breakfast pastries look impressive but are actually quite simple to execute with store-bought puff pastry dough.
Sausage, Egg, And Cheese Pies
- ¼ pound ground breakfast sausage
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 (17.3-ounce) package puff pastry, thawed according to package directions
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup shredded Gruyère cheese, divided
- 8 medium eggs
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Garnish: ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat until browned and crumbly. Stir in green onions; cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold both puff pastry sheets. Cut each sheet in half horizontally and vertically to create 8 squares. Fold each square in half to form a triangle. Position triangle so folded side is at the bottom (A in photo below). Starting at 1 inch down from top point of triangle and ½ inch inward from one side of triangle, make a straight cut down through bottom fold. Repeat the cut on opposite side of triangle (B in photo below). Unfold dough back into a square, and brush with beaten egg (C in photo below). Fold one border corner to meet opposite inner corner. Repeat with opposite corner, forming a diamond shape with twisted top and bottom ends (D in photo below). Repeat procedure with remaining squares. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Brush top of exposed pastry with beaten egg. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Transfer frozen pastry to cast-iron baking sheets or large griddles. (To bake in batches, keep pastry frozen until ready to bake.) Divide sausage mixture among centers of frozen pastry. Sprinkle each with 1 tablespoon cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Crack one egg in center of each pastry, and season with salt. Continue baking until egg whites are set, about 8 minutes more. Garnish with pepper, if desired. Serve immediately.