Storebought pizza dough is an ingenious shortcut that makes this super-impressive loaf come together in a snap.
Savory Strudel with Eggs, Greens, and Sausage
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 8 large eggs
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups collard greens, washed, trimmed, and chopped
- ½ pound smoked sausage, chopped
- 2 cups shredded mild Cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pizza dough
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°. Sprinkle a cast-iron pizza pan with cornmeal.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 8 eggs, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add egg mixture, and cook, stirring frequently, until eggs are just set but not dry. Let cool.
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add greens; sauté until bright green, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon salt and remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. In a large bowl, combine greens, sausage, and 1 cup cheese.
- Roll pizza dough into a 16x12-inch rectangle. Place scrambled eggs down center of dough, leaving a 2-inch border at top and bottom. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup cheese over eggs. Top with sausage mixture.
- Using a sharp knife, cut 1½-inch diagonal strips on both sides of filling. Brush with beaten egg. Braid strips of dough diagonally over filling, alternating left and right. Tuck top and bottom pieces under. Brush dough with egg wash. Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until well browned, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.