These creamy pot pies are stuffed full of shrimp and fish. The filling can also be baked in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet with a single top crust.
Seafood Pot Pies
Serves: 8 servings
- 4 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup seafood stock
- ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream, divided
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pound large fresh shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
- 1 (12-ounce) grouper fillet, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1½ (14.1-ounce) packages refrigerated piecrusts
- Garnish: ground black pepper, smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place 8 (9-ounce) cast-iron gratin dishes on prepared pan.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon using a slotted spoon, and let drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.
- Add onion, celery, and bell pepper to skillet; cook, stirring frequently, until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add flour to skillet; gradually whisk in stock, ¼ cup at a time, fully incorporating each addition before adding the next. Whisk in ¾ cup cream. Whisk in cream cheese, thyme, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and red pepper until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture boils; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in bacon, vegetables, shrimp, and fish. Divide mixture among gratin dishes.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll half of dough. Cut into strips; cut strips in half crosswise. Place strips onto each dish in desired pattern, trimming excess dough. Repeat with remaining dough. Brush dough with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
- Bake until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 20 to 22 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with black pepper and paprika, if desired.