Fontina cheese transforms this Shrimp and Grits Casserole into a creamy delight.
Shrimp and Grits Casserole
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup yellow grits
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese
- ½ cup half-and-half
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 (10-ounce) can tomatoes with mild green chiles, drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups chopped green onion
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 pound medium fresh shrimp, peeled, tails left on
- Garnish: chopped green onion, quartered grape tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, combine broth and ½ teaspoon salt. Bring mixture to a boil over medium-high heat; stir in grits. Cover; reduce heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed and grits are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in cheese and half-and-half; remove from heat. Gradually whisk in eggs until smooth. Stir in tomato until combined.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers, garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add grits mixture to onion mixture, stirring to combine. Bake until set, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. Sprinkle shrimp with remaining ½ teaspoon salt and remaining ½ teaspoon pepper. Add shrimp to skillet; cook until pink and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Spoon shrimp over grits. Garnish with green onion and tomato, if desired. Serve immediately.