Makes 10 to 12 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- ½ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 (28-ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 pound pulled pork
- 3 cups frozen vegetable blend (corn, peas, and lima beans)
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3 minutes. Add ground chuck, ground pork, paprika, kosher salt, celery salt, and red pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 10 minutes. Stir in barbecue sauce; bring to a boil. Stir in tomatoes, broth, Worcestershire, and brown sugar.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Add pulled pork and frozen vegetables; cover, and simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
You can read more skillet stories in every issue of Southern Cast Iron.