Cradled in a buttery cornmeal crust, this Southern tomato pie sings with summer flavor.
Skillet Tomato Pie
Yield: approximately 8 servings
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 0
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 0g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Total Carbohydrates 0g
Dietary Fiber 0g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon plain cornmeal, divided
- 3 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 to 8 tablespoons whole buttermilk, chilled
- 8 medium heirloom tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup halved small heirloom tomatoes
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley, basil
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour,1⁄3 cup cornmeal, and 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt. Add butter, pulsing until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add buttermilk, pulsing until a dough forms. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; shape into a disk. Cover tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, at least 30 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with several layers of paper towels. Place tomato on prepared pan; sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons salt. Let stand 30 minutes. Pat dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon cornmeal in bottom of a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 13-inch circle. Fit dough into prepared skillet, allowing edges to extend over sides of pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, cheese, thyme, parsley, oregano, and pepper. Spread over bottom of dough. Layer medium tomato slices over filling; top with halved small tomatoes. Drizzle with vinegar. Fold edges of dough over tomatoes (dough will not completely cover tomatoes).
- Bake until crust is golden brown, approximately 30 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack 30 minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley and basil, if desired.
Southern Cast Iron https://www.southerncastiron.com/