For these tomato pies, you’ll want to wait for the ripest, most flavorful tomatoes of summer—preferably heirloom.
Skillet Tomato Pies
Serves: Makes 4
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon plain yellow cornmeal, divided
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons whole buttermilk, chilled
- 4 (¼-inch-thick) green tomato slices
- 4 (¼-inch-thick) red tomato slices
- 4 large red or yellow campari tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¾ cup shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons grated yellow onion
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: torn fresh basil, ground black pepper
- In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse together flour, 1 tablespoon cornmeal, and 1 teaspoon salt. Add cold butter, and pulse until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, add buttermilk in a slow, steady stream just until dough comes together. Turn out dough, and shape into 4 disks. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Place tomato slices on several layers of paper towels. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt. Turn tomato slices over; sprinkle with remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Let stand for 30 minutes. Pat tomato slices dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Sprinkle remaining 1 teaspoon cornmeal into 4 (5-inch) cast-iron skillets.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each disk of dough into a 7-inch circle. Transfer to prepared skillets, pressing into bottom and up sides. Fold edges under, and crimp as desired.
- In a small bowl, stir together mayonnaise, ½ cup cheese, basil, onion, and pepper. Spoon mayonnaise mixture into prepared crusts, spreading to edges. Arrange tomatoes over mayonnaise mixture.
- Bake until crust is golden brown, about 27 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup cheese. Bake until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes more. Let stand for 20 minutes before serving. Garnish with basil and pepper, if desired.
No small skillets? You can make this recipe in a 10-inch skillet.