Slow Cooker Vegetarian Red Beans
Yield: 10 (1-cup) servings
- 2 (1-pound) packages Camellia Brand Red Kidneys, rinsed and sorted
- 2 medium onions, chopped, about 2 cups
- 2 small bell peppers, seeded and chopped, about 1½ cups
- 3 stalks celery, leaves removed, chopped, about 1½ cups
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Hot cooked rice and French bread, for serving*
- Green onion, stalks only, thinly sliced, for garnish
- In a 7-quart slow cooker, combine beans, onion, bell pepper, celery and bay leaves. Stir in 12 cups water and oil. Cover and cook on high until beans are tender, 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove bay leaves. Stir in Cajun seasoning and hot sauce. (Beans will thicken upon standing.)
- Serve with rice and bread. Garnish with green onion.
*For non-vegetarians, 1 pound sliced andouille sausage can be added in step 1 after beans are tender. Stir in and cook until heated through.