Fried eggs, creamy fontina cheese, and rich fig preserves up the ante on our Southern spin on the classic French croque madame.
Smothered Ham & Cheese Sandwiches
Serves: 4 servings
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup fig preserves
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 8 ounces fontina cheese, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces sliced honey ham
- ½ cup grated Gruyère cheese
- 4 Essential Fried Eggs (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- In a small cast-iron Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour until smooth; cook until bubbly, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk until smooth; cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes. Whisk in Parmesan, salt, and pepper until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Spread fig preserves onto 4 bread slices. Spread mustard onto remaining bread slices. Divide fontina and ham among 4 bread slices; cover with remaining bread slices. Place sandwiches on a cast-iron pizza pan or baking sheet. Spoon cheese sauce over sandwiches; sprinkle with Gruyère.
- Bake until cheese is melted and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Top with Essential Fried Eggs.
Essential Fried Egg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In an 8-inch cast-iron skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Gently crack egg into skillet, and fry, covered, until yolk is set, 3 to 4 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.