One homemade dough, five scrumptious ways.
Customize this base recipe to create your own ultimate homemade sweet rolls, from classic cinnamon to oozy gooey Nutella S’mores. Check out our January-February issue for all 5 delicious recipes!
- 3 1⁄2 to 3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 (1⁄4-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- In the work bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flour and yeast.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, sour cream, butter, sugar, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture reads 120° to 130° on a candy thermometer. With mixer on low speed, add milk mixture to flour mixture. Add egg. Beat until dough forms. Turn off mixer.
- Switch to dough hook attachment. Beat at medium speed until dough is smooth and elastic, approximately 5 minutes. (Dough should pull away from sides of bowl but stick to bottom.)
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick cooking spray. Place dough in prepared bowl, turning to coat top. Cover, and let rise in a warm draft-free place (85°) until dough has doubled in size, approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Cast-Iron Skillet Cinnamon Rolls: The ultimate breakfast treat, these classic rolls are also perfect for dessert.