A medley of chili powder, cumin, and red pepper adds a hint of heat to these sweet and colorful quick-cooking veggies.
Spice-Roasted Okra and Peppers
Makes 6 servings
- 1 pound fresh whole okra, halved lengthwise if large
- 1 (8-ounce) package tricolor mini sweet peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 3 shallots, quartered lengthwise
- 2 jalapeños, quartered lengthwise and seeded
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- On a 15-inch round cast-iron baking pan, toss together okra, sweet peppers, shallots, jalapeños, garlic, and oil until well coated. Sprinkle brown sugar, salt, chili powder, cumin, and ground red pepper onto vegetables; toss until coated.
- Bake until vegetables are lightly browned and tender, 15 to 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
KITCHEN TIP-For more spice, leave in the seeds of the jalapeños or increase the ground red pepper to your liking.