Give your go-to pumpkin pie an update with a touch of honey and a generous dash of spice.
Spiced-Honey Pumpkin Crostata
Makes 1 (10-inch) pie
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons ice water
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- ½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped pecans
- Honey Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Garnish: pumpkin pie spice
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- For crust: In the work bowl of a food processor, place flour, pecans, sugar, and salt; pulse until finely ground. Add cold butter, pulsing until mixture is crumbly. With processor running, gradually add 3 tablespoons ice water until a dough forms. Add remaining 1 tablespoon ice water, if needed.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Let dough stand at room temperature until slightly softened, about 15 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough ⅛ inch thick. Transfer to a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, pressing into bottom and up sides. Let edges extend over sides of pan. Freeze for 1 hour.
- For filling: In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and salt. Whisk in pumpkin, evaporated milk, brown sugar, honey, eggs, and melted butter until combined. Pour into prepared crust. Fold edges of crust gently over top of filling.
- For topping: In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush crust lightly with egg wash, and sprinkle with pecans.
- Bake until center is set, about 45 minutes. Let cool completely on wire rack.
- For whipped cream: In a medium bowl, beat cream and honey with a mixer at high speed until stiffpeaks form. Top crostata with whipped cream. Garnish with pumpkin pie spice, if desired.
Find more seasonal favorites in our newest issue of Southern Cast Iron magazine.