A generous drizzle of melted butter and a fragrant blend of spices dress up plain popcorn for an easy snack that feels special.
Spiced Snickerdoodle Popcorn
Makes about 8 cups
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup popcorn kernels
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- In a 6-quart cast-iron Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add kernels; cover pot, and shake frequently until kernels begin to pop. Shake pot until popping slows to one pop every 4 to 5 seconds, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer popcorn to a large bowl, discarding unpopped kernels.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sugar, cinnamon, ginger, salt, cardamom, and red pepper. Drizzle melted butter onto popcorn; sprinkle with sugar mixture. Gently stir popcorn until well coated. Serve immediately.
Frequently shaking the pot while the popcorn cooks helps prevent burning and results in fewer unpopped kernels.