The addition of beer in this cornbread batter adds moisture and makes the finished product deliciously dense.
Spicy Beer Cheese Cornbread
Makes 1 (10-inch) loaf
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cups stone-ground fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle amber beer
- 1¼ cups whole buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1½ cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- ⅔ cup candied jalapeño slices, plus more for garnish
- Preheat oven to 425°. Add oil to a 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Place pan in oven until oil is very hot, about 8 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; make a well in center of dry ingredients. Stir beer, buttermilk, melted butter, and eggs into cornmeal mixture until combined. Stir in cheese and jalapeños. Carefully pour batter into hot oil. (Batter should sizzle.) Top with additional jalapeños, if desired.
- Bake until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve immediately.