Slaw is an undeniable fish fry essential, and this version featuring charred collard greens and an addictive dressing is a game changer.
Spicy-Sweet Charred Collards Slaw
Makes about 2 quarts
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound shredded stemmed collard greens
- 1 (12-ounce) package coleslaw mix
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- In a large bowl, whisk together oil, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, mustard, and red pepper until sugar dissolves.
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Working in batches, add collards to skillet. Cook, turning occasionally, until edges of collards begin to brown and color is bright green all over. Transfer collards to bowl with dressing.
- Stir coleslaw mix and bell pepper into collards mixture. Serve warm or cold.
KITCHEN TIP: Turnip greens, mustard greens, kale, or chard can be swapped for collards.