Pair these individually portioned meat loaves with your favorite mashed potatoes for the perfect comfort food supper.
Spicy Sweet Potato Meat Loaves
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup shredded peeled sweet potato
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup minced yellow onion
- ⅓ cup panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chipotle purée (see Kitchen Tip)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Garnish: chopped fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly spray an 8-well cast-iron wedge pan with cooking spray. Place a foil-lined large rimmed baking sheet on bottom rack of oven.
- In a large bowl, combine sirloin, egg, sweet potato, milk, onion, bread crumbs, thyme, salt, and pepper until combined. Divide mixture into 8 equal portions, about ⅓ cup each; press into wells of prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, whisk together ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, chipotle purée, and mustard until smooth; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Reserve half of sauce; spoon remaining sauce on meat loaves.
- Bake until a meat thermometer inserted in center of loaves registers 155°, about 20 minutes more. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with thyme, if desired. Serve with reserved sauce.
KITCHEN TIP: To make chipotle purée, pulse 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in a blender or food processor until smooth. Freeze remaining purée in 1-tablespoon portions for future use.