This hearty pie, with its golden crispy crust and rich filling, will be a new family favorite.
Steak and Sweet Potato Pie
Serves: 6 servings
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pound tenderloin steak tips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups roughly chopped kale
- ½ (17.3-ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Garnish: fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, thyme, salt, paprika, black pepper, ginger, allspice, and red pepper. Reserve 2 tablespoons flour mixture. Add steak tips to remaining mixture, stirring to coat.
- In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and steak tips; cook, stirring frequently, until onions are tender and steak is browned on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in reserved flour mixture; cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth until smooth. Add sweet potatoes, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer until potatoes are fork tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in kale until wilted; remove from heat.
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold dough, and tuck corners under. Roll into a circle; carefully place dough over skillet. Crimp as desired. Brush with egg, and sprinkle with more black pepper, if desired.
- Bake until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with thyme, if desired.