This quick and simple supper is summertime Southern comfort food by the spoonful.
Stewed Okra and Tomatoes
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- ½ pound thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped Vidalia or other sweet onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ pound fresh okra, cut ½ inch thick crosswise
- 3 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Hot cooked rice, to serve
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add bacon; cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crisp, about 10 minutes. Drain excess fat, if desired.
- Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in okra; cook for 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes are soft, 20 to 25 minutes. Stir in vinegar, salt, and pepper. Serve with rice. Garnish with parsley, if desired.